As your parent ages, it becomes your responsibility to take care of them, especially if they are suffering from chronic diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. You have to take certain measures to ensure that they are receiving the care that they need and deserve. Some legal documentations such as guardianship or power of attorney could make this task a little easier. It’s a legal process- to put an administrative appeal for legal documentation such as the power of attorney. That is why you need elder attorneys Tampa to lead you the way.
What Is Power of Attorney?
Power of attorney is basically a legal document that gives you the right to make sane decisions on behalf of your elderly parents or incapacitated family members. But for this, you need to write a durable power of attorney. If you are not familiar with the power of attorney laws in Florida, you can always trust an elder law attorney Tampa Fl.
How to Get Power of Attorney for Elderly Parents?
Here are 5 simple steps that you can follow to get power of attorney for your elderly parents with the assistance of elder lawyer Tampa.
- First of all, you need to explain the power of attorney to your parents thoroughly. Make sure that they are with you on the same page or else, you would have to opt for guardianship.
- You need a durable written document for POA. You can easily get the form through an elder lawyer Tampa. Moreover, you can also consult one of the elder attorneys Tampa to know if there are any POA laws regarding the witnesses.
- After that, clearly state parents about all the principals involved in the power of attorney.
- Elaborate springing powers to your parents. If they wish to make effective decisions on their own, you need to have a physician certificate telling them that they are unable to make sane decisions.
- Last but not the least, you should also mention the time period of the documentation’s termination.
Power of Attorney Laws in Tampa, Florida
Everyone’s situation is different when writing a power of attorney. However, you can have peace of mind by having elder law attorney Tampa Fl by your side.
Power of Attorney for Finances
The financial power of attorney entails making decisions on your behalf for all the financial issues at your home. Your elderly parents must act in your interests. Florida laws offer simple documents and forms for financial power of attorney. However, the form needs to be signed by the witnesses and the adult.
This case is extinguished upon divorce or death. So, you might find elder lawyer Tampa better for handling your case with expertise.
Power of Attorney for Healthcare
POA for healthcare gives all the right to you when making healthcare decisions for your elderly parents. However, this type of documentation does not cover every type of circumstance. Under Florida laws, you need to be 18 or above to write a power of attorney for your elderly parents. Moreover, you need to be competent. If you, for example, lack the ability to take care of your own healthcare, the authority won’t grant you the power of attorney. The process of writing the healthcare power of attorney can be a daunting task. That’s why most people turn to the best elder law attorneys Tampa Fl.